History of Boynton United Methodist Church
In the 1850’s, a small group of local residents built a one-room log structure on the property of Mr. Henry Albright. The structure was used for both worship and education. It was known as Albright’s Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and Albright’s School and located just east of the present church, on the site now used as a cemetery.
A few years later, the log building was replaced by a frame building which served the church until 1902, when it was torn down and a new one was built – again by the members. Membership in 1897 was 35. A Sunday School was started and this membership grew.
In 1892, the name of the community and Post Office was changed from Peavine to Boynton, in honor of Henry V. Boynton, who, during the Civil War was a regimental commander in the army of the Cumberland. In 1901, the name of the church was also changed to Boynton Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
In December 1929, the church building completely burned. Almost immediately construction of the new brick building was started, and in less than a year the worshipers were in their new building. This building continues to be used today (Heritage Hall). On July 20, 1941, after the final payment had been made, Bishop Arthur J. Moore spoke at the dedication services.
Up until this time, Boynton had been a part of a “four-point circuit” with Ringgold, Newnan Springs and Bethel (Woodstation) churches. Sunday School was held every Sunday, but preaching services were held only one Sunday each month.
In the latter part of 1942, Boynton purchased a parsonage and combined with Rock Spring to make a two-church charge. With continued growth, Boynton became a full charge in 1949. Rev. T. E. Fowler was the first full-time pastor.
On January 6, 1953, fire again damaged the building, and once again members began working, replacing the interior, making it more beautiful than before. A new educational wing consisting of a large fellowship hall, kitchen and classrooms was built in 1961.
In 1963, the old parsonage was sold and a new one was built in Mason Hills subdivision. This home served our Pastors and their families for nearly fifty years. In 2010 a major renovation of the parsonage was completed and in 2012 the church sold the Mason Hills parsonage and acquired a five-year old home in White Oak Plantation.
In the 1980s, the church started a steady growth pattern and membership reached 360. To meet the needs of the growing congregation, a plan was adopted to build a new Sanctuary and classroom/office wing. On June 15, 1986, ground-breaking ceremonies were held, and on February 28, 1988, the consecration service was held in the new Sanctuary, climaxing a twenty-month building program. The church was built debt-free!
Over the years, at least four members have become Pastors.
Today, we continue to pursue the Church’s Biblical mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. How are we doing that? We are a people of blessing in our local community through ministries such as BLESS (Building Lives: Every Snack Sack), Recovery at Ringgold, school partnerships, community events, and Stephen Ministry. Internationally, we are engaged in God’s activity in Peru, Venezuela, and Nicaragua. Disciples grow in the faith and become more and more Christ-like through consistent and faithful worship, prayer, Bible study, service and generosity.
While our history is grand, we truly believe that the best is yet to come!